“In the hands of the mosaicist everything takes life”
Welcome to Mosaic Art NOW (MAN) where we celebrate the emergence of contemporary mosaic as a growing presence in the world of modern art. In the hands of the skilled mosaicist stone, glass, tile, metal, pottery, plastic, shell – virtually any material – is used for the same purpose as traditional media – to transport the viewer to a place they haven’t been to before.
MAN has been reporting on contemporary mosaic in print and online since 2007. With this website, we are making it all available in an easy to access format. Here, you will meet the people who are making and thinking about mosaic in modern and innovative ways. We also do homage to the mosaic-makers of the past whose techniques are the cornerstones for today’s dynamic explorations into the medium.
Artists, architects, curators, collectors, educators, designers, critics and the simply curious – you are invited to explore, engage and enjoy contemporary mosaics here on MAN.
Also from MAN:
Newsletter: Our free IRREGULAR newsletter, The Best of MAN (BOM) lands right in your inbox bringing our latest articles and mosaic news from around the world. You can subscribe to The BOM by clicking on the link below.
I am Nancie Mills Pipgras, unabashed mosaic advocate, author, curator, juror, speaker, collector and sometime maker. Design blog Handful of Salt has called me Mosaic Maven; “a woman who’s helping change the way the world looks at this ancient-contemporary form of art.”
And, in 2013, I was honored to be named Gran Cavaliere Dell’ Ordine di San Martino by the Associazone Culturale Clauiano Mosaics & More of Udine for “the international promotion of the modern and ancient art of mosaic.” (What a night that was!)
A little history . . .
- Editor, MAN the magazine 2008-2011
- Editor MosaicArtNOW.com 2009 – present
- Curator/Juror “Shattering Expectations: Mosaic 2014″ at Isaiah Zagar’s Magic Gardens Philadelphia, PA
- Author: “The Art of Community Transformation: The Mosaic Murals of Puente Alto” Andamento: The Journal of the British Association for Modern Mosaic 2014.
- Featured Speaker, British Association for Modern Mosaic Forum 2012 at the Victoria & Albert Museum
- Former Board Member and President Society of American Mosaic Artists (SAMA)
- Regular Contributor Mosaique magazine
- Panelist, “What is Mosaic?” SAMA 2011
- Juror, “Art of Mosaic” Somerville Museum, Boston MA 2009
Mosaic Art NOW was founded in 2007 as an annual print publication by the late, great mosaic artist and entrepreneur, Bill Buckingham and his partner Michael Welch.
In 2008, Nancie Mills Pipgras joined Buckinghham and Welch as an editor for the next three editions of the magazine.
With Buckingham’s passing in 2010, Mr. Welch passed the Mosaic Art NOW imprint on to Mills Pipgras.
- Copies of past editions of Mosaic Art NOW the magazine are available through Mosaic Rocks Press!