We here at MAN have a great appreciation for architectural mosaics that really work — where the architect and designer/artist and craftspeople work as a team to create something that is absolutely right for the site where it resides.
That’s why we were excited to learn about Tendenza Mosaico (Tendancy Mosaic) — an annual exposition/fair in Pordenone, Italy devoted to connecting architects, designers, product suppliers and craftsman in order to explore the modern possibilities of mosaic in architecture. Tendenza Mosaico is organized by Pordenone Fiere S.p.A. and sponsored by the Province of Pordenone, the Province of Udine and the Municipality of Spilimbergo.
Even more exciting, the “mosaic fair” has a competition, the Prize for Mosaic Art and Architecture. From the prospectus:
The competition offers a Prize for Mosaic Art and Architecture to an architect or a designer who, during his professional life, used mosaic as an integral part of an architectonic work which has already been executed.
Prizes are as follows:
- Prize Mosaic and Architecture 2010 — Euro 3,000
- Prize Mosaic and Architecture Religious — Euro 1,000
- Prize Mosaic and Architecture Private Home — Euro 1,000
We applaud the sensibilities of this competition which also notes:
“. . . In those projects the co-operation between the architect who made the project, the artist who conceived the mosaic and the craftsman who executed it must have been a determining factor for the achieve of architectural accomplishment.”
The Prize is a two step process. Important dates:
- November 27, 2009 — Deadline for submission of first step (drawings)
- December 4, 2009 — Projects which may proceed to the second step are announced
- January 8, 2010 — Deadline for additional documentation from accepted projects
- January 16, 2010 — Results are posted on the website of the Pordenone Fair
- January 22, 2010 — Prizes are awarded at Tendenza Mosaico
Thinking of attending Tendenza Mosaico? The dates are January 16 & 17 and January 22 – 24, 2010. To get to the event’s website, click here
Enjoy — Nancie